Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A Well Stocked Pantry

A well stocked pantry allows you to whip up many meals without needing to go to the store.  Here's a list of many of the ingredients that I make sure to have on hand at all times:

Refrigerator
  • anchovy paste (A recent addition to my list.  I buy it in a tube.  It can be used for a super quick Caesar dressing.  I'm sure I'll also find plenty of other uses for the rich flavored, savory paste.)
  • bacon (I buy based on whats on sale - but its ALWAYS thick cut.)
  • butter (salted and unsalted)
  • capers (They add a ton of flavor to potato salad, fish, salads, etc and don't add many calories.)
  • cheese (Several varieties; minimally I have grated Parmesan, blocks of cheddar and Swiss.)
  • Dijon mustard (For sandwiches, rubbing on meat prior to grilling, salad dressings, etc - lots of flavor and few calories.)
  • eggs
  • milk
  • olives (kalamata, and green)
Produce
  • carrots (I prefer the whole ones to the baby ones - I think they have more flavor.)
  • garlic cloves (On a cooking utensil note - I also feel that a garlic press is imperative.  I've tried several kinds, and I find that the ones with a hinged pressing piece work the best.)
  • lemons
  • limes
  • onions (sweet and often red)
  • potatoes (I have a love-hate relationship with potatoes.  They're certainly important to have in the pantry, but mine often rot before I use the whole bag...)
  • romaine hearts
  • tomatoes (see my note - its at the end of that post - about super ripe tomatoes)
Freezer
  • chicken
  • ground beef
  • pizza dough
  • ravioli
  • rolls and/or biscuits (They cost a little more per piece than the refrigerator biscuits - but you can make exactly as many as you want and they're fresh baked when you want them.)
  • tilapia
  • veggies (a variety, but I always have frozen peas and in-shell edamame on hand)
 Canned Foods
  • beans (black, cannellini, chickpeas, dark kidney, pinto)
  • beef stock
  • chicken stock
  • cream soups (Low sodium - I stock celery and mushroom.)
  • light tuna, packed in water (I prefer the flavor and texture of light to Albacore.)
  • lite/low fat coconut milk (Low fat.  Another recent addition, but it goes sooo well with seafood/rice recipes!) 
  • olives (diced)
  • tomatoes (diced, pureed, sauce, paste - all low sodium if available)
Dry Goods
  • all-purpose flour 
  • baking powder
  • baking soda
  • barley (great in soups or as a side - I prefer the slow-cooking variety)
  • breadcrumbs
  • cocoa powder
  • nuts (usually pine nuts, almonds and walnuts or pecans)
  • pasta (I always have several shapes - at least rotini, penne, spaghetti, lasagne, wide egg)
  • rice (I typically stock quick-brown rice and at least one slow-cooking variety, right now brown jasmine)
  • sugar (dark brown, turbinado, white, powdered)
Liquids
  • balsamic vinegar (I stock 3 types: 2 dark - a cheaper one for everyday cooking and a good one for drizzling on salads or on foods post-cooking; I also stock a white balsamic)
  • cider vinegar
  • EVOO - aka extra virgin olive oil (similar to balsamic - I stock 2 types - a cheaper one for everyday cooking and a good one for drizzling on salads or on foods post-cooking)
  • honey
  • red wine vinegar
  • reduced sodium soy sauce
  • vegetable oil
  • walnut oil (incredible in salad dressings)
  • white vinegar
  • wine (red and white)
  • Worcestershire Sauce (I like the Lea & Perrins reduced sodium)
Spices
  • bay leaves
  • chile powder (I stock hot and regular)
  • cinnamon (ground and whole sticks)
  • cloves (ground and whole seeds)
  • coriander (ground and whole)
  • dried chopped onions (I really like these in burgers)
  • garlic powder (not salt)
  • ground cayenne pepper
  • ground chipotle chile pepper
  • ground cumin
  • ground ginger
  • ground sage 
  • freeze-dried basil (My grocery store has a whole selecton of freeze-dried herbs.  If yours does not carry freeze-dried, then regular jars of them suffice.)
  • freeze-dried dill
  • Mrs. Dash (I like the Extra Spicy variety)
  • mustard powder
  • nutmeg (ground and whole)
  • Old Bay seasoning
  • oregano
  • paprika (smoked and regular - smoked paprika is incredible, it has a smoky barbecue flavor without the salt/sugar/vinegar)
  • peppercorns (I have 2 pepper grinders - one makes a fine pepper, one a very course pepper)
  • poultry seasoning
  • red pepper flakes
  • rosemary
  • salt (sea salt or kosher salt) 
Other
  • a cute apron (or several!!!)
This is certainly not a comprehensive view of my current pantry, but it reflects the ingredients that I replace as soon as I finish them (or I keep a spare or two on hand).

What do you make sure is in your pantry at all times?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment