Part 1: Sautéed. Simple, fast, and five ingredients or less*
This recipe can easily be altered with different steaming liquids, spices, garnishes, etc. (examples at the end)
Sautéed Brussels Sprouts with Roasted Red Peppers and Lime (feeds 2 as a side dish)
- 10 Brussels sprouts
- 1 lime
- roasted red pepper strips
- crushed red pepper
- Add ~2Tb of EVOO to a medium pan and preheat over Medium-Hi heat. (The oil should get hot but should not be smoking. On my electric stove, I've learned that "M-H" is below the 'Medium' marker. Unfortunately all stoves are different...)
- Rinse the Brussels sprouts. Trim off the bottoms and remove any ragged outer leaves. Cut them in half.
- Add the Brussels Sprouts, about 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, and a smidge of salt. Sautée, tossing periodically, until golden brown in spots (about 5 minutes).
- Meanwhile, zest half of the lime. Squeeze the lime juice into a separate bowl.
- Add ~12 roasted red pepper strips, the lime juice, and ~1 Tb of water or other additonal liquid (I used the brining liquid that the pepper strips were in - mine weren't in oil).
- Cover and allow to cook/steam for about 4 minutes, or until tender. I prefer mine to be on the al dente/tender crisp side.
- Remove to serving bowl. Add lime zest. Toss, and serve!
*5 ingredients or less does not include salt/pepper/EVOO/water
Easy flavor combinations (sub for cooking fat, liquid, garnish, spice respectively):
Sesame oil, 1.5 T soy sauce and 1.5 T water, green onions, powdered ginger and powdered garlic
Butter, juice of 1 lemon and 1 T water, lemon zest, black pepper
EVOO, 3 T white wine, capers, black pepper
Non-stick pan w/ no oil, 1 T red wine vinegar and 2 T water, sun dried tomatoes, smoked paprika