Tuesday, January 10, 2012


Recently, Joe and I went out in Denver and ate at Jax Fish House.  We were planning on getting an appetizer each, but then couldn't resist sharing their Potato Gnocchi instead- served with braised pork ragu, rock shrimp, squash, turnips, and arugula.  One of the best things I've eaten recently - and the best gnocchi I've ever had - light and pillowy and airy and tender.

I've made gnocchi once before, and eating this dish at Jax makes me excited about cooking them again.  Maybe with practice, I'll be able to replicate the texture of the gnocchi at Jax.



  • 3 large russet potatoes, scrubbed
  • 1 egg yolk
  • about 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • white pepper
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • About 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Prick the potatoes several times with a fork and bake them until they are soft, about 1.5 hours.
  3. While they're still hot, cut all the potatoes in half lengthwise, creating as much surface area as possible so the steam billows out. (Steam is water; the less water the potatoes contain, the less flour you will need. The less flour, the lighter the gnocchi.)
  4. Scoop the potatoes out of the skins and into a food mill or fine-holed ricer (I found an antique food mill at Goodwill!).
  5. Pass them through the food mill or ricer onto a large clean work surface - use your countertop or kitchen table.
  6. Spread the potatoes into an even rectangle about 24" x 12".
  7. Season the potatoes generously with white pepper (if available).
  8. When they are no longer hot to the touch, almost room temperature, beat the egg yolk. Drizzle the egg yolk over the potatoes.
  9. Measure 1 1/4 cups flour and sprinkle this over the potatoes.
  10. Using a pastry scraper (or the edge of a spatula), cut the flour and egg into the potatoes, chopping and then turning the mixture in on itself and folding it together, until everything is well mixed and the dough resembles coarse crumbs. Bring the mixture together into a ball.
  11. Sprinkle a scant 1/4 cup flour on the work surface. Place the dough on the flour and press down, flattening it into a disk with both hands. Dust the dough with another scant 3/4 cup flour. Using your hands, fold and press the dough until the flour is incorporated. Add two dustings of flour to the work surface and dough and repeat. If the dough still feels sticky, repeat once more, this time covering both the table and the dough with no more than 2 tablespoons flour.
  12. Roll the dough into a compact log. Dust the outside with flour, then allow the dough to rest for about 5 minutes.
  13. Dust the work surface lightly with flour.
  14. Divide the log into 8 pieces. Roll each section into a "snake" about 1/2" thick (Joe helped with this - it was fun to make them!).
  15. Using a floured knife or pastry cutter, cut the dough into gnocchi about 1" long.              
  16. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Working in two or three batches, drop the gnocchi into the water and cook, stirring occasionally, until they float, 2 to 3 minutes. Retrieve the gnocchi with a slotted spoon and put them on a baking sheet or plate.
  17. While the gnocchi cook, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sage and season with salt and pepper. Allow the butter to brown slightly, about 4 minutes. Add the gnocchi to the browned butter and remove the pan from the heat. Mix gently and serve topped with Parmigiano.
I served this with broiled lobster tails (they were on sale for a great price!!) and creamed corn.

No comments:

Post a Comment