Part 2 of my series on Brussels Sprouts: Grilled. Simple, fast, and five ingredients or less.
The idea of grilling Brussels sprouts was not my own. My sister, Carla, discovered this while we were living together in Williamsburg. This is probably my favorite way to cook Brussels sprouts. The smokey flavor is incredible and very unique.
Grilled Brussels Sprouts with Butter and Lemon (feeds 2 as a side dish)
- 10-12 Brussels Sprouts
- 2 Tb unsalted butter
- 1 lemon
- 4 skewers
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat a grill to medium-hi heat.
- Rinse the Brussels sprouts. Trim off the bottoms and remove any ragged outer leaves. Cut them in half (if there are any super-small ones, leave them whole).
- Skewer the Brussels sprouts so that they're all cut side up.
- Zest the lemon. Put zest to the side.
- Melt the butter (microwave is quick and easy). Halve the lemon and squeeze the juice into the butter.
- Whisk together butter and lemon. Drizzle over the sprouts. Sprinkle a few pinches of zest on top and season with fresh pepper. (The leftover zest can be thrown into vinaigrette dressing to freshen it up.)
- Grill for about 10 minutes, covered, until browned on the bottom and the middle is tender-crisp
- Serve and enjoy! With Brussels sprouts like these, you'll be fighting for the last one :-)